View Single Post
Old
02-25-2014, 06:24 PM
predshabs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Yes, banking on Wilson to take over Legwand's spot right away would be tough, but I think in the long run we'd be a better team if we did that. We'd have a year for him to get settled in at center and find someone to replace Fisher before he hangs them up. Going out and signing a Stastny would do us wonders, I don't know if he'd sign here, but that IMO, would be the ideal scenario with Stastny as no.1 and Wilson at 2.

I think it'd be too optimistic of a scenario to say that Edmonton would give up both RNH and Hall, but if we could get one of them and one of Yak/Eberle, and a roster defender it would really improve our top 6 ,and even though our defense levels out our overall team looks like it'd contend with that core for a while.

The main concerns I'd have with trading Weber is if we'd be getting enough. We need both quality and quantity otherwise we'd have been better off sticking with Weber and watching what could be our first HOF'er in it's entirety. Weber's young enough that we could build a team around twice more.

The other concern is will Edmonton even offer that much up in the first place? If Edmonton will only go as high as either Yakupov OR Eberle and Gagner + a 1st this year does Poile take that because it's there or does he have the sense to stick it out with Weber or wait until something bigger comes along. I'm hoping that if Poile were to be taking calls for Weber, that he'd be calling the shots.

So, I see where you're coming at. Trading Weber SHOULD get us at least two top 6 forwards and a decent defenseman, but will anyone offer it? Would we be better off going the semi-conservative way that we've come to know and love by just taking picks and trying to sign UFA's? Will Jones and Josi be enough to contend for the cup without having to acquire another 25+ minute defenseman like Weber?

I'd like to see a major trade not involving Weber, but those don't happen every day. I think we could see some mid sized deals with us acquiring some 2nd tiered players with big upside, but I doubt we see the full shabang with Weber.
I think a bidding war would involve more teams than we think.
Edmonton-needs top two defense
Anaheim-needs a #1 RHD
Philadelphia-needs Defense, getting older
Tampa Bay-could use a RHD on top pair
NYI- Could use a #1 Defenseman
Who can offer the most that would help us out?

Seems like the team would have gotten a clue when Suter and Weber both wanted the team to improve and Suter walked. I guess not because this past summer we signed people like Stalberg,Cullen, and Nystrom. More third liners. This team has got to draft better on the offensive side. We need someone to remind Poile we had two Norris caliber defensemen once before and it did not cut it. We are going to have to make some moves to improve our offense. Weber would get us the best and most players. We have Jones who is a RHD waiting to step into Weber's spot.

I like Byrddog do not see Weber waiting around long before he demands a trade. Weber just won a Gold medal with Canada, he is in Norris talks again, but we do not have the offensive pieces here or in the minors or anywhere to put on the ice to win the cup. His value will never be more than now. Trading Weber for two top sixers or more would go along way in making our team much more balanced.

This is not directed at you Soundgarden but I keep seeing this everywhere, if we trade Weber we will not become the Oilers of the Central.

predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote