View Single Post
Old
02-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Some teams have a rep for drafting and developing great d-men - like StL, Nash, NJ...

Det has been the only team that I noticed drafting/developing centers at a crazy rate in recent years but I just took notice of how they have been developing centers in Chicago.

Say what you want about Toews having great potential and being a high draft pick at 3rd overall (he was actually the 2nd center taken that year after Jordan Staal) but Chi has developed him into one of the top 3 centers in the world.

Dave Bolland was an awesome shut down center there and he was a 32nd overall pick. If the Oilers had him in their lineup they would have held the Sedins off the scoresheet in at least one game over the past ten years.

This Markus Kruger they got was taken in the 5th round, and he's the reason I was even looking at Chi. He was just excellent against Canada in the Gold game. Whenever he touched the puck in the d zone the play just disintegrated for Canada. How many centers like that have the Oilers drafted/developed in the 1st round in the last 20 years? Todd Marchant, that's about it.

Look at the 2011 draft, there are 2 kids who have played over 100 games from the 11th overall pick and lower - Brandon Saad at 43rd overall and Andrew Shaw from the 5th round, both from Chi.

The Hawks have 2 developing centers in Teuvo Teravainen (Fin Elite League 42gp-8g-32a-40pts +/-0) and Brandon Pirri who lead the AHL in scoring last year at 22 yrs old.

It's obvious that they don't have room for all their centers and if their recent history is proof of anything, a center taken from that org is gold. I don't have a lot of faith in MacT but if he gets a center from Chi I will be impressed.

I'm not pimping Pirri as a 2nd line c here, but I bet he would make the roster here and stand out like a sore thumb due to a lack of suckiness.

I wish I had the center ice pkg now, I decided not to get it this year when RNH and Gagner started off the season injured and I'm too cheap to pay $200 for the last 22 games. I'd love to see some Chi games.
Todd Marchant was drafted by a different organization, and developed before the Lowe/Mact duo came in to destroy the franchise. The only two forwards drafted after the first round that managed to survive the non-existent development system and turn into NHL players is Brodziak(2003) and Stoll(2002).

They don't need Chicago's centers either, they need Chicago's GM, their coaching staff, and their scouts. Drag more prospects into this dysfunctional organization and they'll suffer the same fate as all the other Oiler prospects that were left to drown.