Old
02-26-2014, 10:36 AM
glassbangers
"I home."

vCash: 50
Justin Schultz's extension

MacTavish:

Quote:
The plan for Schultz is to look to extend him a serious offer after the deadline concludes.

“I think, with Justin, it will be after the deadline,” MacTavish said. “I’ve had some preliminary conversations with his representation and after the deadline, I think we’ll get down to more serious discussions with Justin.”
Quote:
As for whether or not MacTavish puts Schultz into the same category as Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, in terms of contract perimeters and talent, the GM said he’s of the same skill level potentially.

“It all depends on the number on the year-to-year part of the contract. If you’re asking me, do I consider Justin Schultz in that skill level, potentially? I do. I think he’s a terrific talent. I think he’s developing and has taken significant steps this year, maybe in the last six weeks, in terms of really establishing himself as a guy that’s got a very high upside.”
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=26525

Schultz:

Quote:
“I don’t regret it (signing with us) at all,” he said. “Some people might find that hard to believe but I knew it wasn’t going to be immediate winning. It’s going to take some time. Maybe this year hasn’t gone as good as we all hoped for, but I know it’s going to get better around here and it’s going to be fun.”

On the contract front: “I’m pretty open to anything right now,” he said. “Obviously I want to stay here and play for a long time. With the young guys they have locked up in a matter of no time we’ll be winning. This is where I want to play and if the opportunity presents itself, that’s what will happen."
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/02/2...ack-of-success

IMO there's no way in hell Schultz deserves 6M per year. I'm not a fan of bridge contracts but 2yrs, 2.5M per should be the way to go. Of course if you can sign him for 6-7years at 4-4.5M I would probably do it. He has great potential but he hasn't shown anything which is even in the same ball park with 6M.

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote