View Single Post
Old
02-26-2014, 12:26 PM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Smid is so up and down. Won't shock me to see him being a legit #3 next year, but then get traded at the trade deadline and fall back down again.
Hes mostly been down

Quote:
Incredbily, Smid might be the worse player of the twi. The erstwhile Oiler seems to have gathered himself a lot of fans during his short time here in Calgary, but I'm not one of them. Smid is fearless, can seem to absorb a lot of pain and isn't afraid to mix it up here and there, but his weaknesses easily overwhelm his strengths. Aside from O'Brien, Smid is the slowest defender on the Flames blueline. He doesn't have any offensive upside and isn't very good at moving the puck. If something goes wrong with Smid on the ice - a bad bounce, a poor decision - he can't recover.

As a result, Smid has the worst possession rate of the Flames regular defenders this year. In addition, his contract stretches for another three seasons at an average of $3.6M per year. My guess is he's a replacement level defender (at best) by the time his deal terminates in 2016-17, a year in which he'll be owed $4M in salary.

Smid's heart is willing, but the actual ability is lacking and he seems to be on a downward spiral. Burke should see if he can pull a Douglas Murray with some team at the deadline desperate for blueline grit and move Smid for whatever he can get.
This deadline will be interesting to see what Smid can get. Everyone dumped MacT for the return saying he can get more and that the Flames will turn Smid for much more.

Smid @ 3.5 mil at his current play is a massive overpayment. The only thing I wish MacT would have done is waited till the deadline to trade him as that is when teams are desperate. But if he receives a Douglas Murray type return (2 2nds), that's basically what we received.

I would still love to see Smid in a Oilers jersey in 3-4 years, just as a bottom pairing D @ 1.5-2 mil