View Single Post
Old
02-26-2014, 10:41 PM
SephF
Visually Better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
OK, thanks. You were starting to resemble one of those eternal Smyth haters that seem to frequent the board at times.

So Hemsky is better than a 38 yr old Smyth, although I'm still not sure how. Smyth has outscored him while being saddled with guys like Gazdik and whoever.

Its no great shakes that Hemskys performance can even be compared to a 38yr old player with a million miles on the odometer

hemsky certainly isn't great at anything more and you can strike great 1 on 1 off the charts. Hemsky has 3 goals in his last 30GP. He's averaged 10 goals/yr in his last 5seasons. Raffi Torres is prolific from that perspective..
It's been a rough couple years for Hemmer forsure, I thought he was playing really good in 09-10 and 10-11 but both of his shoulders ended up giving out and both seasons ended with an injury sadly.

We also need to keep in mind at 30 years old Ryan Smyth was playing on the first line with the best players the Oilers had to offer meanwhile Hemsky is relegated to a 3rd line role with Gordon and Smyth/Jones. Smytty was also a mainstay on the 1st unit PP back then, Hemsky barely gets 2nd unit PP time.

I honestly believe if Hemsky is given 1st line minutes and 1st unit PP time he could still pot 60 points but there's no need for that on this team -- we have better options.

Also Hemsky has never been a goal scorer so I don't think it's fair to only point to his goal totals while ignoring the rest of his points (even though they aren't great this year or last).

And Hemsky is still a great skater, still has great hands, still flys through the neutral zone around players more effortlessly then 90% of the guys in the league, he still has his skills.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote