View Single Post
Old
02-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Guy Caballero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
for sure, Smyth is exactly the type of player we need. The prolem is however he wont go for cheap, because there will be alot of demand for him around the league.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how old Smyth is

If hes around 25 or 26 i say we really go for it, if 28 or older i say forget it. If we get a guy whos gona be here long term than he has to be 26 or younger, if older it should be a renta player for the playoffs who wont cost much in terms of prospects/draft picks.

Peace!
Smyth can play at a top level for another 6-7 years, at least. There's doesn't seem to be a marked drop off in skills at 30 anymore, like you would have seen in the past. In my opinion, that's good enough. While I agree that we should basically build through the draft, an acquisition or two that would provide us with reliable offense, toughness, and veteran leadership would accelerate our rebuilding process and make us a team to deal with in the present. Smyth would provide all three of these elements. If he's available, I would trade a top prospect to get him (except, perhaps, for Komisarek and Kastsitsyn).