View Single Post
Old
02-27-2014, 03:28 PM
SephF
See you next time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
And the reality is, his 28-30 ppg is by far and away the worst on that list. This is reality, and this is the player Hemsky is today. Hemsky was probably the Oilers' best forward for a 3 year stretch, but it's the most recent 3 years that count the most, during which he's done nothing but underachieve and set a poor example.
That's the point of the chart. I believe he's under achieving here and his numbers would be bumped up a bit playing somewhere else but we all need to take into account that he was recovering and freshly returned from major shoulder surgery during these years.

His game has definitely regressed but I don't think he has regressed as much as most people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Wait what? Now this here is the perfect example of the revisionist history that Hemsky fanboys do to ensure their golden boy is immune to the criticism that players like Horcoff, Souray, Moreau, Smyth etc get (and these guys deserved every bit of critcism). Hemsky is the epitome of lacking intangibles and accountability, and dropping the quality of his game when it mattered most. What I saw was a player who aside from a brief spark of life in Game 6 against Detroit and a few other games, was a shadow of the player he was in the regular season. As most of the roster elevated their game and had the performances of a lifetime, guys like Hemsky and MAB dropped the ball. Lets take a look down the roster shall we?

Horcoff is blocking shots with his face, playing opposing top 6 forwards in all situations, and producing whether it's even strength, PP, or SH. Smyth loses a significant portion of his teeth but returns to help will the team to victory in the same game, and annoys opposing goaltenders every game. Torres plays physical and basically turns around an entire playoff series with the Michalek hit. Stoll basically wins every faceoff he steps up to. Pisani goes god mode. Peca regains some of the touch that made him at one point considered the best two-way forward in the NHL. Laraque/Murray/Harvey aren't very productive, but they played hard physical forechecking games and provided energy every shift. Every defenceman on the team except MAB sacrifices their body to block shots, clear the crease, jump in on offence, and played physical but responsible hockey. Pronger especially was co-playoff MVP along with Pisani. I don't think I need to remind anyone of Roloson's heroics. The important thing all of these guys had in common was that they elevated their game from the regular season.

Hemsky? Well, he dropped from a near 80 point pace to about a 55 point pace, with two thirds of his points scored on the power play, as he struggled to outproduce even the team's third liners at even strength. (EDIT: just checked nhl.com, the third liners actually all outproduced him at even strength, Hemsky was actually only better than Dvorak and the fourth liners) Yes, he had that series winning goal against Detroit, but it was Pisani that drove the team's comeback that game. For the majority of the playoffs he was quietly putting up secondary assists and tap-in goals on the power play.
Didn't Hemsky finished 2nd or 3rd in points on the entire team that playoff run? 17 points in 24 games in the playoffs is nothing to sneeze at.

Last year the leading playoff scorer had 26 pts (Kreijci) 2nd place had 19 (Kane)

The year before the leading playoff scorers had 20 pts (Kreijci & Brown)

I'll agree the other players like Torres, Horcoff, Pisani etc brought lots of valuable intangibles but Hemmer still had a damn fine playoff run, especially as a younger guy playing a secondary role.

I'd like to see how many 2nd liners put up that kind of offense in the playoffs in the last 10 years.

Last edited by SephF: 02-27-2014 at 03:40 PM.
SephF is offline   Reply With Quote