View Single Post
Old
02-28-2014, 09:55 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Dependent may be the wrong term but there were a ton of Smytty goals I recall where he had simple tap-ins into empty nets from Hemsky tic-tac-toe passing plays and others where the puck got to net only because Hemsky was the driving force on that line that kept plays alive in the offensive zone. That line would have had nowhere near the scoring chances, offensive zone time of possession etc it had if Smyth and Horcoff hadn't had one of the premier offensive playmakers in the NHL (at that time) on their line. I think it is a foolhardy proposition to believe otherwise.

Indirectly or directly, Hemsky had an effect on Smyth's production.

We're seeing things differently here and so would Ryan Smyth himself. Remember the Smyth frustration with Hemsky and you "don't have to have blinders on" message he gave Hemsky on the bench? There were many times where Smyth was working downlow in the danger areas getting crosschecked all the while Hemsky dangling on the halfboards oblivious looking for a perfect cross ice pass.

If you know Hemskys game doing the simple thing is rarely what he finds. All a guy like Smyth needs is somebody that shoots the puck a lot (Hemsky doesn't) and Smyth is around there tipping and banging away.

Smyth of course appreciated the downlow play of Weight and excellent service a whole lot more.

I do agree with you on Horc. He was highly reliant on the Hemmer passes but teams eventually took those passing lanes away.

Hemsky as a passer is less creative then people give him credit for. He's a fairly static halfboards player that telegraphs his passes and doesn't change it up enough. Hemsky always needed to offer the threat of attacking the box more if he was going to be a dangerous player. You have to admit 140NHL goals is really disappointing for somebody that has Hemskys mitts.

Conversely Doug Weight who had all kinds of trouble scoring, but was a fantastic passer really worked hard on trying to score and really busted his ass to bag those goals. Hemsky is a real talent that doesn't push that envelope nearly enough.

Thus where he is.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote