View Single Post
Old
02-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Moose Coleman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Is that really a bad thing?

The guy is at the very least a top-4 D-man (which I view Petry as). He's shown in his earlier seasons he can play at a top-pairing role and chip in offensively.

Yeah his contract is heavy, but with us possibly shedding the Gagner contract, and also not retaining some other players (Hemsky, Smyth, Schultz etc.), would us taking on a risk like Myers be the worst thing?
Biggest red flag for me is that he plays in the soft conference and has been wildly inconsistent in every facet of his game. Will he improve? Well, he's the same age as Sam Gagner so keep that in mind when you make your prognostications. I don't believe the maxim that defencemen develop slower than forwards applies to real elite guys.

Quote:
The good news is we currently don't have a real albatross type contract. Not that we should, but taking a risk on a young D-man who has shown immense talent in the past doesn't seem like the worst idea in the world to me.
There's a not insignificant chance Meyers' deal would fit the bill in short order. If it took a package of Gagner/pick/prospect to get him, it might be worth the risk. Anything more is probably pushing it.