Old
02-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Yes it really is an interesting phenomena. That since the pretty much full on conversion to the Butterfly the way the positions Coached & now played, roaming & playing the puck, being aggressive in skating out of your crease & breaking up plays before they even get a chance to get started (inhibited further with the introduction of the Trapezoid) all but a lost art. Actually discouraged. Pity. Several colors taken off the palette, no longer available, applied to the canvas. Skating & stickhandling skills amongst the past 2 generations of goaltenders abysmal. Only a few of them (Mike Smith in Phoenix for eg) capable & practiced at it.
Steve Mason is also a good stickhandler; conversely, Bryzgalov is horrendous. It was amazing to see how much it helped take pressure of the D when Mason was in instead of Bryz.

Even now, Timonen will routinely pass back to Mason, treating him as a 6th man if he's pressured and thinks he might turn it over in a bad situation, letting Mason pass elsewhere or cover as needed. He tried it once with Bryz. Bryz shot it off Clarkson into his own net. Some night-and-day stuff.