View Single Post
Old
03-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Red Deer Rebel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yeah "left wing lock" for one, several others that have had the stats.

As I stated the numbers always look odd, understated, and not at all what one would expect from observing.

For instance Left Wing Lock quotes 10.36% being the time this season that Nuge, Hall, Eberle line is on the ice, together, as a proportion of EV minutes of the club. Which is absolute *********.

Any fan watching the Oilers knows Eakins is throwing this line out there 20mins/game EV on a lot of nights and that if theres any line in Edmonton that has been stable its that one.

I have a real hard time believing these numbers and I don't know why they are so often off of being standardized to 1005 but I suspect fairly poor input data and with missing blocks of non data occurring.
Also as stated I suspect the numbers are one thing and being mistakenly called another. I do again think the numbers are referencing proportion of total toi (i.e. 60mins) rather than just EV. In other words a data mess.

If the information was better I would pay more attention to it.

I do thank you for the discussion and input.
I don't think so.

The NHL keeps official time-on-ice numbers in the form of official shift charts. 5 statisticians compile this data in real time at every game.

Here is the reference to the TOI Shift Report for the last game: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...4/TH020897.HTM

Third party websites probably compile this data and produce different reports from it. Since this is likely done with a script, the accuracy of which has been checked several times during development, it is safe to conclude the data you are dismissing is quite accurate.

If you wish to challenge the accuracy of it, it wouldn't be hard to do. Find a game where the official Report differs from the report of the 3rd party website ...