View Single Post
Old
02-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Puckhead58*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I agree...BG needs to do something to give this team a jolt if they want to make the playoffs. But I don't think dumping Kovalev, Koivu, Ryder, Rivet will bring back the players that we would need. All the players that you mentioned would only bring back draft picks or prospects. Plus with most teams being so close to the cap IMO, we would end up having to take back too much salary, which would keep us at about the same when it comes to the cap. So like I said, I agree some changes need to be made, but I don't think trading these players that you listed would truly help us make the playoffs this year.

Well I would totally be fine with only getting draft picks and prospects in return for getting rid of Kovalev, Koivu, Ryder, Rivet and others.....the main objective is to get rid of their contracts so we have money to sign decent players in the off season. This years playoffs is the least of my worries, because they would only make it to the second round at the best and then get put out. I would rather rebuild the team so it is a cup contender.
I know we couldn't trade any of those players and get equal value back because right now, none of them have ANY value. I just want to get whatever we possibly can for them to get rid of paying their contracts and then we can spend the money wisely on younger players who will make a difference and a couple up and coming stars.
Next year we have 10 players under contract for $22.45 million, leaving $21.55 to re-sign 12 or 13 players. If we could get rid of Koivu and Kovalev, we would have an additional $9.25 million taking the total to $30.8 Million and only have to replace 15 players. I would like to keep Koivu as a 2nd center, but $4.75 mil is a lot of money to be paying a 2nd line center.