Old
03-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
I don't know where you can find these definitions online. I read a blog article about it some time ago. It may have been by Willis.

Suffice it to say that a "hit" is body contact that results in a loss of possession or control of the puck. Puck possession is part of the requirement.

So, a lot of these thunderous bodychecks you are referring to - which occur after the puck is gone - are not "hits" per se. Hendricks' hit on Prosser the other night being one such example.

The force of it doesn't matter. It is whether the player on the receiving end is in possession, and the contact results in him losing possession.

I would imagine a book like the NHL Compendium would have the official definitions, but it is not available online that I am aware of.

In any event, since you are the one accusing the official record of being inaccurate, you bear the burden of proof here, and that includes proving the definition.
Thanks, respectfully. Its not through lack of effort on my part either. I've searched the NHL site up to down looking for any definitions of its realtime stats. Not easy to find as you mention.

You are correct, I didn't know the exacting definition, but then again how would I? I'm a data purist. Any dataset worth its salt makes its data headings immediately available and defined to limit any confusion. This being minimum expectation really with any mathematical display of data.

Quote:
... but this wouldn't effect data within a team, since the same group of statisticians are always recording the TOI data at every Oiler game (whether this is at home or on the road). This discrepancy would only exist when you are comparing data between teams.
for sure. But just citing the lack of standardization.

Quote:
As I've already said, TOI data is measurable with a high degree of accuracy, so long as enough people are watching and recording - which is in fact the case in NHL buildings.
Well hopefully. I have some doubts, but much moreso on the 3rd party data and scripts.