View Single Post
Old
02-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Did I say that? This has nothing to do with acquiring draft picks...this team has a few assets that could get us immediate help as well as help in the future.

Gainey has handcuffed himself by paying average players, above average salaries...He's got to either hope that miraculously, those average players start playing above average consistently or he's going to have to move some of the assets he does have (Souray, Markov, Ryder) to get those average players more help.

This team is going to go as far as guys like Koivu, Kovalev, are going to bring them. They don't step up, the Habs don't go anywhere.
Very true...if guys like Koivu, Kovalev don't step up we are in big trouble. But trading some of our assets (Souray, Markov, Ryder), I don't think will add to our team. The reason why I say this is, any team that would be interested in these players would be teams that are playoff contenders.

So...if you are a playoff team...why would you give up players that would help your team during a playoff run? The answer....they wouldn't...the best we could get for those 3 players would be draft picks and young prospects that aren't ready to contribute.

Now if you want to write off the season for the Habs...then yes, that would be a good idea. But if you have any hopes of making the playoffs, trading these players don't make a lot of sense to me.