View Single Post
Old
02-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
Zednik's 6'1 196lbs. Do you see him as a big power forward? Also, Saku Koivu plays an aggressive game like Ryan Smyth and is good in traffic and injury prone, does that make him a power forward or a big player?
I'm being a little redundant here as I've said it numerous times, but here goes: listed size means nothing. How one's body is proportioned and how much muscle and bodyfat levels one has is of absolute importance in determining how capable a player is of playing a physical game.

Smyth may be listed at 6'1, 190lbs, but he looks like he's 6'2 210lbs. There's not a chance Zednik is the same height as Smyth. Smyth has a wide, thick frame, and he looks similar to Andreychuk in front of the net (Andreychuk is upwards of 6'3 225lbs). Smyth's at his best when he's parked in front of the net, and he's one of the toughest players in the league to move from the crease.

Smyth isn't necessarily an overly aggressive or fiery player like Koivu is. He's just big, strong, and a thick body presence that thrives in traffic. And most importantly, he understands his role and plays it extremely well.

By the way, I didn't say he was a power forward. I said he played a power game.