View Single Post
Old
02-16-2007, 09:16 AM
dave4

vCash: 500
When did Tom Renney turn into a genius?

OK I've been Renney's most vocal critic, and I'm still not convinced he'll lead us to the playoffs, or coach well if we do make the playoffs. But I have to give the man credit for how he's handled the team the last week, when we were in danger of falling of the face of the playoff earth. And it's not just the winning streak, I was calling for Renney to be fired even during the five game winning streak in December, because I thought he had nothing to do with it.

It's only four games, but SO FAR he has handled Avery perfectly. Something tells me when things are going bad Avery may go from driving the other team crazy to driving fans and teammates crazy, but so far Avery and Renney have done everything right. Putting Avery with Shanahan was obvious, but Renney has missed some obvious things in the past. This time he got it right.

I've also been critical of Renney's hockey sense, as it seemed like every decision he made blew up in his face. Recently it's been the opposite, most every decision he's made has paid off for him.

If you had told me two weeks ago Lundqvist would play every game, including back-to-back nights, I would have told you it was a mistake. Especially after what happened last year. So far it's not a mistake, Lundqvist seems to be getting stronger.

He finally put Cullen back on the power play, and it seems like that's helped Cullen's coinfidence both on the power play and at even strength.

We were all wondering here about tinkering with a lineup that blew out two pretty good teams the last two games, but he replaced Prucha with Dupuis on the third line and Dupuis played well and scored a goal.

He's stuck with Malik when I was leading the call for him to be traded, and Malik had an outstanding game last night. It was just one game, but Malik was impressive.

The new top two lines have worked out perfectly so far. He seems to have revitalized both Hossa and Shanahan.

Renney seems to have the whole team ready to play now, right from the opening shift. I've been critical of Renney when the team has come out flat, I have to give him props when they take it to the other team right from the opening faceoff.

Three games does not make a season, but if we'd lost the last three games we'd all be singing quite the different tune about a lot of things.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote