View Single Post
Old
02-16-2007, 12:33 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
The team's salary structure, as outlined by AymanD recently, is out of whack. There's no justifiable reason to be paying third-liners like Bonk and Johnson as much as they're making, nor paying depth defense (especially Niinimaa, who's acquisition and subsequently keeping him for the duration of the season was completely mind-boggling).
Really? I think this year's salary structure may look out of whack... but what do they do about next year's?

Bonk was envisioned as more of a second-liner, but that didn't pan out. Johnson is very useful -- maybe not 2 million useful, but he can be a borderline 2nd-liner. Niniimaa was a warm body Gainey acquired to fill a hole, with a vague chance of regaining is form... and also because of this next point: all these guys are UFA next year.

That will free up space to try again in the pursuit of quality free agents.

I also happen to think Montreal's D corps is not *nearly* as bad as people make it out to be at the moment, but maybe I'm just weird. Dandy and Bouillon are 5th and 6th on the depth chart, but they're better than most 5-6 defensemen. Montreal's defense-by-commitee approach makes spending more on these position more justifiable.

Quote:
subsequently keeping him for the duration of the season was completely mind-boggling).
There's no point in sending him on waivers and putting him in the farm until such time as his cap space is needed. If you're a hockey team with millions to spare, that is. 1

Quote:
Montreal could/should have pursued a higher-end talent to be the core
A bit of context. Montreal tried to land Elias, Shanahan, and possibly Arnott. They *have* pursued a higher-end talent, it simply did not work out.

They ended up with Samsonov, a good signing if he'd been able to keep his "20 goals easy" form. He was at the time arguably the best offensive forward still available. At 3.5 million he was seen as a supporting cast member, not so much a core player.

I don't think Gainey expected to be a contender this year. Competitive, yeah, but otherwise he's putting his pieces for longer-term. That 21-9 start skewed perceptions, I think.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote