View Single Post
Old
02-17-2007, 12:03 PM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
There's a disturbing stat that I think spells doom in the playoffs if we can't fix it. Over the past 37 games (that dates back to late November), our power play is sub 15%. To give the 14.8% figure some scope, if that were the stats for the entire year, we would have the fourth worst PP in the league ahead of only Phoenix, Chicago, and St. Louis.

You have to go back to '02/'03 to find a worse Predator power play than what we've had to this point in the season. And that power play saw heavy time from the likes of Andy Delmore, Andreas Johansson, Adam Hall, Denis Arkhipov, Vlad Orszagh, and Jason York.

This is purely a stastically-based opinion since I haven't seen most of the games this year (as such, those who have been witness to the games, feel free to interject), but I wouldn't be surprised if Horacek is let go at the end of the off-season unless something improves dramatically. While the players should take the bulk of the blame, the axe has to fall on the coach who is responsible for this area especially for a team such as this whose time is now.

I think the use of Forsberg on the power play from here until our exit from the playoffs (either through victory or defeat) will determine his fate. Trotz is generally loyal to his assistants, but this isn't the point in this franchise's history where patience is a virtue, as evidenced by Poile's most recent acquistion. He's given Horacek a key piece to the puzzle. His job depends on his use of that piece.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote