Thread: Prospect Info: OKC Barons 2013/14
View Single Post
Old
03-05-2014, 07:02 PM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
I'd like to see a little of Gernat and Fedun as the season winds down. It should be a major concern that Musil's foot speed isn't up to par. The NHL is twice as quick. In the few games I've seen Klefbom looks hesitant one moment and over commits on other occasions. That's understandable for a lot of young guys. Especially European players. I'm old school when it comes to confidence though. I want guys who leave it on the ice every shift and let it fall where it may. I see that in both Gernat and Fedun. Not so sure Klefbom has it guys. My humble opinion of course.
Most people who watch the Barons (Willis and those guys) haven't really been that down on Musils skating, but say his an extremely smart and well positioned D who makes up for his skating issues with that

Quote:
There’s been a lot of doom and gloom around Musil’s status as a prospect, but his game has translated beautifully to the professional ranks. He generally alternates with (and occasionally plays beside) Martin Gernat on Oklahoma’s third pairing and seems comfortable playing on his off-side.
Quote:
Musil has adjusted far better to the professional game as a defensive defenceman than I would have expected given the doom and gloom reports out of junior
Todd Nelson

Quote:
David Musil, I think that everybody knows he has to work on his foot speed. He knows that. Some of his biggest strengths are that he is just really strong in the corners. I think that he is our heaviest defenseman. Him and Oscar, they play together, they are both heavy defensemen that play well in the corners. They do a great job on the PK. So David is progressing nicely.
I think people around here have written him off because of his skating. But it hasn't sunk him in his first pro season. So hopefully he can keep improving on his skating. If he can become even an average skater he will be a bottom pairing D with top 4 upside (depending how improved his skating is)

Based on reports he could probably be an NHL shutdown D today if he was skating was NHL level