View Single Post
Old
02-04-2004, 12:57 PM
kazo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Strangely enough I think some of this can be placed at the feet of labor issues, and it's a problem (or at least it's a problem IMO) that infests all sports.

I suspect much of this has to do with the growing "brotherhood" of the various players associations. Players no longer see each other as the enemy. Why should they? With free agency, it's fairly likely they're going to play on the same team at some point in their mutual careers. The enemy has become management. "Us" used to mean "the Rangers," and while their migt have been complaining about management (as there is in any business), the idea was still that the team was ... well ... the team. "Them" meant anybody who wasn't in the Ranger organization.

Now "us" means players and "them" means management. Who can be surprised that players aren't accountable to each other? The association actively encourages them to stand together and remember that they are players first when talking to the press, or when fighting for a contract. Of COURSE Holik needs Sather to make players accountable. If Holik tries to do so, he's not only fighting the player, he's fighting his whole association.

Just my theory.
You really hit the nail on the head with that post.