View Single Post
Old
02-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Some guys play better in the NHL than the minors.
Take Ryan Malone for instance.
He had a very average NCAA career.
He wasn't on the Penguiss radar.
He once sticked in training camp and never looked back. I think he has something like 3 career AHL games.

Try him, what do you have to lose? Maybe if he doesn't stick, it'll motivate him to do more to come back.
Looking past the topic, you got a great point, didn't know about Malone, but he is a great example.

Its all about what a player can do, and how he can play the game and how that fitsin in the NHL, whats he does at a lower level is all about how he can play the game and how that fits in down there.

Kim Johnsson is another example. He never scored much in the SEL, and when I reported about him I got many replys like "A tiny offensive D with thoose numbers? You are defenitly overrating him.". Though, he played really well in the SEL, but he never got any production out of it. He played with forwards that didn't utilize there D's, and on a team that was bad in general.

Following the NHL from Europe I see allot of scenarios that I don't think many NHL fans ever gets to see, like big stars moving from really high levels to low, and how they react to that. I see allot of great teams playing against extremely bad teams, and how thoose results can be. It makes you think at times, and gives great perspective. If Anaheim Ducks/Buffalo Sabres were to play in the ECHL, they wouldn't win all games. Theyd probably loose 5-10%, thats just how the game of hockey is. I saw Ronald Petrovicky play in the qualification series between the 2nd and 3rd tier league here in Sweden during the lockout, thats a levle were I have played, Petrovicky were extremely good, in a big 4th line role at that level. He didn't work out at all on a 2nd or 3rd line, something I defenitly didn't expect. Youd thought he would be able to dominate.

Thats a huge factor thats so easy to miss, someguys can play one role in the game of hockey, at all levels, but that doesn't mean they can contribute in a bigger role at a much lower level. Thats important to remember when watching kids for example, if the expectations for a player is to be a high energy 0.5 PPG player in the NHL, it doesn't mean he is a bust if he only scores 0.5 PPG in the CHL/AHL. If you create the majority of your offense from taking advantage of misstakes other teams make while forechecking, you will basically get the same amount of chances in the NHL as you get in the AHL, while at the AHL, someone who can create offense in a number of ways at that level, might not be able to create offense in any way in the NHL, a 2 PPG player in the AHL can be a much worse offensive fit in the NHL as a 0.3 PPG player in the AHL.

Another huge diffrence is that the NHL is much more organized then the AHL. If you got a high understanding of how certain types play the game, its possible that it won't payoff at all in the AHL, since the game is really sterotyped. Someguys are also able to thrive in a controlled enviorment, since they are really effective at breaking the pattern, I think Kristian Huselius would be a really good example, I wonder how much he would score in the AHL, he is a PPG player in the NHL right now. Its obvious when watching the WCH for example, there are some really talented players in Europe who never makes it to the NHL, playing against the best in the NHL in the WCH you can see how talented they are. But when they try in the AHL, they are pretty mediocre. At the same time some really high scoring players in the AHL can't even win spots on 4th lines in Europe.