View Single Post
Old
03-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Habs_Apostle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Sure. Teams can have off years but we went from having one of the best offensive teams in the league to one of the worst.

And its not like we can't see the difference in the systems here. There's zero transition now. How often do we see Subban skate up the ice with the puck only to find nobody out there to feed to? MT has also given one line all the offensive opportunity. And to make matters worse that line (which almost exclusively starts every PP) has been inept on special teams since he made the switch. Ice distribution, systems, calling players out publicly... pretty much everything a coach can do wrong this guy has done. Dump and chase should be dumped and so should Therrien.

By what measure - the standings? Sure.

By any other measure though (except goaltending) we're not doing well at all. Offensively its a disgrace. And you can't tell me with a straight face that this team doesn't have the players to be at least middle of the pack offensively 5 on 5. And there's absolutely no way we shouldn't be top 5 on the PP with the back end we have.

That is on the coach.
OK, maybe we could be better offensively, but at what expense? Maybe Therrien has tried this and realized, yeah, we can score 5 goals but the other team is going to score 6 to 7. So we need to be more conservative to actually win games. Defense wins championships, as team Canada demonstrated. And you point to last year, but remember the epic collapse. Maybe Therrien learned the style we were playing, once other teams figured it out, wasn't sustainable. Of course, I'm just guessing here. But what I'm saying is that maybe Therrien (and it's not just him, he has a support staff) figured out that we need to play this way to give ourselves the best chance to win. I mean, this is at least plausible isn't it?

And PP and PK stats change, often without rhyme or reason. Plenty of teams go through long stretches like this. And didn't Boston win a cup without scoring a PP goal? My point: there's more to winning games than these stats. And, bottom line, Therrien has been winning. When we're bottom of the league, let's talk. Why blow it up now and create all sorts of instability.

And here's another take on it. Fine, let's say we fire Therrien. What are the chances we actually get someone that is going to do a better job? I mean, statistically speaking, chances are we get someone that screws things up even more. And what about the turmoil and confusion this will cause in the short-term? Things could be a hell of a lot worse.

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote