View Single Post
Old
03-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs_Apostle View Post
OK, maybe we could be better offensively, but at what expense?
At no expense.

We'd be playing with the puck more AND our D would improve. That's it.
Quote:
Maybe Therrien has tried this and realized, yeah, we can score 5 goals but the other team is going to score 6 to 7.
Uh, no.

When you have the puck you're less likely to be scored on. That's why Monctonscout's post was so off the mark. Folks say that Canada played well defensively - well YES this is true. But the reason why is because the play was usually in the other team's zone.

Quote:
So we need to be more conservative to actually win games.
No we don't. We need to have the puck more than we do.

It's like we've completely given up on the idea that you have to score to win. We let other teams dictate the play and try to sit there and block shots. I could understand it if we had no talent, but we do. And we proved it last year.

Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Max, Subban, Markov, Plecs... come on man. Again, not the 80s Oilers but certainly better than bottom of the pack.
Quote:
Defense wins championships, as team Canada demonstrated.
Team Canada demonstrated that puck control wins Championships. See my comments above.
Quote:
And you point to last year, but remember the epic collapse. Maybe Therrien learned the style we were playing, once other teams figured it out, wasn't sustainable. Of course, I'm just guessing here. But what I'm saying is that maybe Therrien (and it's not just him, he has a support staff) figured out that we need to play this way to give ourselves the best chance to win. I mean, this is at least plausible isn't it?
Yes, I remember it well. But we were playing well before that and we were playing reasonably well to start the season as well. There was no compelling reason to change the system.

And look, even if you have a point here it should be evident by now that this change didn't improve us, it hurt us. So even if he felt like experimenting, it should be very clear now that we should change the system back.
Quote:
And PP and PK stats change, often without rhyme or reason. Plenty of teams go through long stretches like this. And didn't Boston win a cup without scoring a PP goal? My point: there's more to winning games than these stats. And, bottom line, Therrien has been winning. When we're bottom of the league, let's talk. Why blow it up now and create all sorts of instability.
Sure. But the PP was fine before he started monkeying with it. Now its the same line starting every PP and we've sunk like a stone. A smart coach would've made adjustments long ago. And how he came up with the idea that Bouillion should be on it at all, let alone giving him huge PP minutes...

Quote:
And here's another take on it. Fine, let's say we fire Therrien. What are the chances we actually get someone that is going to do a better job? I mean, statistically speaking, chances are we get someone that screws things up even more. And what about the turmoil and confusion this will cause in the short-term? Things could be a hell of a lot worse.
I don't see how they could. At worst they stay the same and we keep relying on Price. If nothing else they next guy is unlikely to call out the same guys to the press all the time. Most coaches don't do this because they know better.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote