View Single Post
Old
02-20-2007, 10:46 AM
SML

vCash: 500
Scouting is an old boy network that former players use to keep the checks coming in after they can't play anymore. If you don't believe me, go to the NHL draft. Hang around there and you'd be shocked some of the things you'll hear just pretending not to pay attention. I don't think half these "pro-scouts" even go to games. I've heard them ask each other questions they should obviously know. Hook onto your local college or junior team and follow them and their opponents really close. Make a report about players you think are legit and why. Then send a copy to all 30 teams in the league, and do it with religious dedication and frequency. When they send you a letter to stop, ignore it. Eventually you will be known as the "crazy guy" who sends the scouting reports. Unless one of them turns out to hit. Then you'll be the guy who saw something nobody else knew was there. Be careful who you send in, b/c you can't keep screaming about every guy being the big one or they'll tune you out. If it's really what you want to do with your life, then you can outshine the other guys by working harder, and proving that you know what you're doing and didn't need any connections. Scouts come and go all the time. If you seriously keep plugging away, and not for a year but for a long haul, you may just get a shot.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote