View Single Post
Old
03-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
6 may be insane but he projects out to a 65 pt guy who started slowly this season. I think he could get offer sheeted if we try to lowball him. I think you are dreaming at the 3.5-4 level. I'd guess that 5 is the minimum he is going to get and more like 5.5-6.

Some comps

Tyler Seguin 5.75 for then next 6
Jamie Benn 5.25 for the next 4
The Oiler guys 6 for next 6
Vilppula 5 for 5
Kane & Toews 6.3 for 2
Logan Coture 6 for 6
I get your point but your comps aren't good targets in my opinion. Some got the money on their 3rd contract (Couture), others have performed better from day one in the NHL (Kane, Toews, Oilers guys), Fillpula? If Johansen is at $6MM on his next deal I think the CBJ are crazy. If they go with the 8 year deal? Even crazier.

I love this kid and hope the trajectory continues up but the body of work, for me, says a 2-3 year deal before giving him the big money. I agree that I was over zealous with the $3.5-4MM mark but north of $5MM would be a mistake at this point in my book. I think Brassard, Voracek, Couturier, Couture, Jordan Staal would be who I would look at for comps. Not perfect and Johansen may offer higher upside but he hasn't shown any consistency to bank on upside.

Again, just my opinion. I'm sure he'll get a big deal. I just want to see him earn it and justify it after he gets it.