View Single Post
Old
03-12-2014, 08:40 AM
cujoflutie

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to cujoflutie Send a message via Yahoo to cujoflutie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Brings up an interesting question. I grew up playing baseball (right handed) so my left hand has always been my glove hand, but I also shoot right handed. If I was to transition to goalie, should I keep my glove consistent but have the stick the wrong handedness. Or should I keep the stick consistent and put the glove on my dominant, but less familiar to glove hand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Hmm that's a good question. I actually never realized that goalies glove hand and shooting is usually not the same..

Playing baseball growing up I threw right handed (thus the glove on my left hand), but batted from the left side. I also shoot hockey lefty. When I played some roller hockey goalie growing up, it was just natural to have the glove on my left hand and shoot lefty as well. I never realized that most of the other goalies were shooting their opposite than what they typically shot when playing out.

I'm a goalie and have had arguments with people who pretend to be experts on the subject but wind up giving terrible advice (not saying either of you are, you're both asking good questions).

In baseball, you want your glove hand to be your less dominant one so you have your stronger one to throw. Hockey goaltending is the same thing as the stick requires the precision. Some people think the dominant hand should be the glove hand because glove saves are more flashy but the stick hand is FAR more important. There's a reason why right-catching goalies at the NHL level is around proportional to the amount of left-handed people; Hiller, Harding, and Vokoun are the only 3 whom are first or second on a teams depth chart.

You really just have to think how goaltending equipment evolved; at one time goalies used the same stick and gloves that skaters wore. Those goalies didn't strategize as far as which hand to hold their stick in, they held it with their stronger hand. Eventually the idea came about to wear a baseball glove on the free hand and later the blocker evolved for the stick hand.

Now one exception to the above is that a goalie who is ambidextrous may be better suited with the glove on the shooting side to make puckhandling easier.

Also not that anyone's done this in this thread but if you don't play hockey, don't assume you shoot the same way you'd golf or bat, it's not uncommon to be the opposite.

cujoflutie is offline   Reply With Quote