View Single Post
Old
03-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Blue Liner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Goalies still develop after 25, they aren't forwards or Dmen.

Playing in the AHL every game is definitely going to help him more than hurt him.
Opening a door in the NHL is going to hurt more than help him.

I don't care either way though.
I agree in that there's still room for development after age 25 for goaltenders. They're a different animal.

As far as Raanta goes, I'm also with you in that I don't really care either way whether he is up or down. Personally, I feel starting every game down in the AHL would be ok for him and wouldn't be a hindrance to his development or a waste of time. I think with it still being his first season in North America, playing every game and getting lots of minutes wouldn't be a bad idea. With that said, I'm fine that he's up as he's proven to be decent enough to be here, especially over Labarbera.

With all that said, I'm not completely sold on him yet as far as what he projects to be as an NHL goaltender. I don't dislike him or anything like that, and I think he has potential, but I don't feel super comfortable with him in net. He looks small in net, doesn't take up a lot of real estate, and I'm not sure his quickness and athleticism are good enough to completely make up for that or not. Jury is still out with me. I need to see more, and am fine with him getting the opportunity, just not sure how good he's going to be at this level. Has some things going against him there.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote