View Single Post
Old
02-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
John's right...

it ain't that clear-cut. Barrasso came on the scene strong, tailed off a bit, and won a couple cups on a Penguins' team that didn't win it by having the best goaltending.

The Rangers, however, had a few games stolen by Richter, and I think he gave up two goals against the Isles in the first series while registering two shutouts. And pushing the Devils to a couple double OTs shows to me that he kept his team in that series too.

Internationally I think you have to look seriously at the '96 WJC series in which it put USA hockey back on the map (only to fall off in the '98 Olympics but regained its standing in the 2002 Olympics).

Unfortunately for Richter, his career was actually short. It really didn't seem to start until 1993 (he had played in a platoon system for the previous years), and it effectively ended in 1999 (being plagued by knee injuries and other injuries).

Does he deserve to be a HOFer? He's on the cusp. His international play may get him in, but it may lower the bar for goaltenders getting into the HOF.