View Single Post
Old
02-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
I resepctfully disagree that if NYI makes any moves it will be Hamrlik for a younger defenseman. That assumes that $$$ is the overriding factor at all times. It may be, but hunch here is that if (big "if") NYI is playing well heading toward the deadline, the priority will be to improve the team, not cut costs. That latter approach would make them a "seller", and while they very likely won't be an aggressive "buyer," dumping the salary of a quality NHL defenseman from a team with momentum heading down the stretch is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Sure, the Isles aren't going to get to the Cup Finals this year. But neither were Carolina in '02 and Anaheim in '03. Both teams made moves to improve, caught fire and played into June. And neither team, in hindsight, was markedly superior to this current NYI team (and numerous other teams playoff bound this year).

I don't think the Isles are going to make any moves either (other than some small deals to add depth). But, if they did make moves, I think one of Hamrlik or Parrish would be likely to go.

Personally, I hope they stand pat.