View Single Post
Old
03-18-2014, 02:37 PM
RaiderDoug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
...and Wilson seems to be rounding into shape, while Radulov turned out to be a headcase. Oh no! They missed on a prospect! (One who, to be fair, did have incredible offensive skills.) The horror! The calamity!

What magical GM are you going to summon who never misses on a prospect?
Then why are you so confident that Jarnkrok and Forsberg will develop into the guys that we hope they will be.

Maybe DP missed on them too?

Remember, one of these prospects went for 20 games of David Legwand and the other went for a disgruntled Martin Erat.

And then what?

Quote:

It's always going to be a problem. The same way defense and goaltending is always going to be a problem. If it wasn't always a problem you wouldn't need a GM, and nobody would ever make trades. That's how this works.
I never questioned thier ability to develop goaltenders and defense. But you need more than that to win.

Teams like ours aren't built to go deep in the playoffs. Our team doesn't even make the playoffs anymore.

Our forwards have been a problem for most of our existence. If Jarknrok and Forsberg - two iffy prospects, don't hit the jackpot - what then?

Quote:

Yeah, that's how this goes. Every year, TWENTY-NINE teams in the league flame out and fail. Every. Single. Year. This management team managed to build from an expansion team to a contender. When ownership said to blow it up so they could bail, this same management team turned things around quickly and rebuilt to contending status on the back of two Norris-caliber defenders and a top-three goaltender. It just so happened that one of those defenders decided to jump ship, and the goalie had a hip problem and then an infection. That led to a couple of down years. Some of the core got older.

Now that management team is rebuilding again. You see how this works? It's cyclical. The back end pieces are in place. Now they just need young, talented forwards to build the offense around. Oh, wait - they've been making trades to get some of those.
I'm all about cycles of winning and losing. Rebuilding's not bad if you have something to hang your hat on.

But we don't have cycles.

We have the same mediocre hockey over and over again. Not really bad. Not really good either. And not even much entertaining to boot.

If you told me this was a temporary down cycle - but that better days are definately ahead - I could buy it.

But when the crest of the wave is a 2nd round blowout loss to the Phoenix Coyotes - I think we're doing something wrong.

Quote:

Name one thing you think another GM would be doing that Poile just refuses to do because of incompetence, nervousness, age, or whatever other liability you've assigned to him in your head. Because there's a reason he's one of the most respected GMs in the game, and it isn't because a bunch of fans know more about hockey and how to build a team.

Simmer down and be patient. If you want to get rid of him, fine. Just be prepared for more of the same once another GM gets here, because the path forward is pretty well laid out at this point.
I have no idea how to build an NHL team. But that doesn't mean I don't know what mediocre results look like.

Go back to the Avalanche - someone decided to take a shot with Sakic and Roy - and look what happened. They could have stuck with Sherman and Sacco.

You say the path is pretty well laid out - but how are you so sure it's going to lead where you want it to go?

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote