View Single Post
Old
03-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I haven't advocated doing anything like the Blue Jackets have done.
Denial doesn't make it any less true. A plan based on "let's fire folks and expect to draft a savior" is how MacLean ran this franchise for years, and it's how the Oilers have been run for the last half-decade.

Quote:
But I fail to see how you think that making a change at GM and/or coach after 15 years of trying a mostly failing at winning big in hockey will turn us into the Blue Jackets?

Many, many teams have changed coaches and management and gone on to win big.

Maybe we become the Colorado Avalanche - they got rid of a solid at best tandem in Greg Sherman and Joe Sacco, and in stepped Roy and Sakic, and they have a really bright future.
Hon? Perhaps it escaped your notice, but a lot of people are saying amazing things about the Avs and Roy precisely because it's so incredibly, overwhelmingly rare. You might as well be gambling that Wilson and Smith spontaneously become NHL superstars, because that's about as likely, and it has far less impact on the health of the Nashville Predators franchise.

Quote:
Remember when we couldn't wait to watch our new high end offensive guy who was finally going to be a home-grown scoring threat. His name was Colin Wilson. A few years before that, our savior was going to be Alex Radulov.

We're always waiting for that next big time forward to come through the system. Unfortunately, he's always a couple of years away and never actually gets here.
The problem with this is not Trotz and Poile. The problem is that "waiting for the savior" is a flawed premise, and making management decisions based on that is why Steve Tambellini was a dismal failure as a GM.

Quote:
Lifetime contracts - maybe hyperbole. Yet when I ask folks how many more years in order to get a deep playoff run, I rarely get an answer.
Because a definite timetable is the wrong approach. The correct approach is to go by performance standards that have a bit more sanity, sense, and realism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Winning big in the first 15 years is the exception ... not a rule that the Preds are violating.
You get a cookie.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote