View Single Post
Old
03-18-2014, 10:24 PM
RaiderDoug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Denial doesn't make it any less true. A plan based on "let's fire folks and expect to draft a savior" is how MacLean ran this franchise for years, and it's how the Oilers have been run for the last half-decade.
Then there's 29 other teams in the NHL that are emulating the Oilers.

Do you really think that changing coaches/systems/etc once every 15 years makes us some knee jerk franchise?

I'm more on the "lets fire folks who have been trying and mostly failing for 15 years and try something new with new ideas and new people".

Quote:

Hon? Perhaps it escaped your notice, but a lot of people are saying amazing things about the Avs and Roy precisely because it's so incredibly, overwhelmingly rare. You might as well be gambling that Wilson and Smith spontaneously become NHL superstars, because that's about as likely, and it has far less impact on the health of the Nashville Predators franchise.
It's really not that rare. Teams fire underperforming coaches/GM's all the time. And they actually do go on to win big with new staffs.

But you're right, sometimes, they crash and burn and turn into the Oilers/Jackets/Panthers.

Forget the Avs. Insert your favorite team that was rebuilt from the ground up - the Blues. Hawks. Pens. Bruins. Ducks. Kings. Many of them brought in new coaches/GM's to replace the ones they had - and they didn't blow up into decades of failure.

Quote:

The problem with this is not Trotz and Poile. The problem is that "waiting for the savior" is a flawed premise, and making management decisions based on that is why Steve Tambellini was a dismal failure as a GM.
I don't disagree with you there. I don't want to have to put all our eggs in the Forsberg/Jarnkrok basket.

It's just that for most of the past 15 years, Predator Hockey has been defense and grind, and we're always waiting for that next hotshot to come and put us over the top. And he never gets here. He never develops.

It's time to stop blaming the players, and realize that the entire system is a flawed system. 15 years has shown that Predator Hockey isn't playoff hockey. 30 years of GMDP's career has mostly had playoff flameouts.

Quote:
Because a definite timetable is the wrong approach. The correct approach is to go by performance standards that have a bit more sanity, sense, and realism.
OK, name these "performance standards" you want to go by.

For me, at a bare minimum, I think we can expect to see one deep playoff run every 10 years. That's a pretty low bar. Even the horrible Oilers can make that.

And one we've failed to hit in a decade and a half.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote