View Single Post
Old
03-19-2014, 08:58 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
A legit 2nd line center is a guy who actually fills the roll expected by a 2nd line center.
Circular reference - see "reference, circular"

Reference, circular - see "circular reference"

I usually see the difference between a #1C and a #2C as being performance under pressure. A good-quality #2C is a guy who can produce points in that 0.65-0.8 PPG range that the top 15-45 centers in the NHL regularly do (or better) under somewhat adverse conditions with acceptable linemates, and can be helpful defensively as needed. A #1C is someone who can do the same or even better while matched up against the opposition's best defensive players - and can defend just as well right back.
("But wait!", I hear some of you say. "Doesn't that mean you consider David Legwand to be a 'good #2C'?" To which I reply "Why yes. Yes I do. And I think that characterization is completely justified.")

It looks a lot like Iron Hook will be able to manage the production levels required. The remaining question would be whether or not he can keep doing it under serious defensive pressure. I'd want to see him do that in the AHL (when folks are planning games around him) before tossing him into the NHL, but that's just a vague idea on my part; I'll let the experts handle his development.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote