View Single Post
Old
03-19-2014, 09:04 AM
Todd Harvey

vCash: 500
Sather's Unheralded Moves

So much with the Rangers is day-to-day. A win and things look brighter, a loss and everyone's back on the ledge LOL. But as the season goes on and evidence mounts, certain moves become easier to decipher.

Last night's game versus Ottawa was definitely one where some stats got padded.
Same time, it's becoming undeniable the Rangers have 7 players with a good chance of netting 15-20 goals; that's real balance.
And that's not counting Nash, who already has 22, or McDonagh (12), or St Louis, who has 29 on the year, though none for us.

When you look at the value the NYR have received on some of these deals, it's pretty impressive. Zuccarello has to be one of the best bargains in hockey this year, to say the least. People doubted whether he should or would come back. But Sather canned the coach who wasnt using him right and the Hobbitt returned.
Puliot signed for only $1.3m, and really helped the Rangers out of a jam on a paper-thin left side. He's not only now put up 27 pts, he's been more rambuncious than I think anyone anticipated.

I have a hunch Sather played the percentages in thinking his new french-canadien coach could extract whatever talent Puliot had yet to unearth; along with Brassard, another french-canadien, it amounts to one of Sather's calculated risks that is now paying off.

Columbus got something like 9 or 10 goals total from Marion Gaborik before shipping him to L.A. The Rangers not only got Brassard, now with 15 goals and just shy of 40 points (and Dorsett, who can seem to crack the lineup because the NYR 'depth' is playing that well), but John Moore, who's been a different player since MDZ was traded and he's been paired with a solid stay-at-home type in Klein. Im still not totally sold on Moore, but he's certainly been serviceable at worst, and there's more upside there.
Even the other Moore, Dom, has been largely terrific.
Another signing from out of nowhere, Moore has just very quietly given the Rangers good minutes.

And just to go back to the top, with Zuccarello, he perhaps more than anything made Ryan Callahan expendable.
He took ownership of the 2nd line RW spot. And that's why the St Louis deal amounts to a freebie. Anything the Rangers get from him should be a bonus. Plus they're not locked into Callahan for the next 6 years, on what would have been a nightmare contract.

So things are becoming clearer, and all that's without mentioning a guy like Carcillo, picked up for a 7th, who's played some good hockey for them. Or what Kreider's done since getting straightened out, which I think is directly attributable to the coaching change (and may have been one of the main reasons Torts was axed).

So overall, Id maintain this is a balanced roster, and its proving itself to be one. The one exception being size, where they are a little light. But even a guy like Richards, who I 100% would have bought out, is nearing 50 points. That said, it's just a real nice mix of skill, age, and determination. Even the Rangers smaller guys like Hagelin and Zuc & MSL are spunky, so I think this team has a lot of fight in it, and a good chance for success. And still, with guys like JT & McIlrath and Lindberg & Duclair and now Haggerty (who they list as a center, btw), more good young players pushing for jobs next year. So, interesting an mix.