Old
02-05-2004, 07:55 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Right on target, BR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
I too disagree with you here Fletch. First, last night we were celebrating Richter and his accomplishments, but also the fact that he is (as far as I know) the ONLY living Ranger goalie who's helped us win a Stanley Cup. Graves was a big part of that too and I think the cheers and chants were more about that fact and the fact the fans never really had the opportunity to give Graves a decent thank you. And of course, there is the fact that Sather publically questioned his abilities before trading Graves and at this point anything relating to Sather is treated with distain.

We were not thinking with our heads last night, we were remembering the good times and thanking those who got us there. Graves was a very good player, a great teammate and is a wonderful human being. He deserved every single second in the spotlight last night. But, that said, even though I was chanting sign him too, I have no doubt that the vast majority of fans weren't seriously suggesting that he be signed now.
As I sat there watching Graves and Richter last night, I remembered how classy this team once was, and how much pride and dignity each player, along with Mess and Leetch, brought to this organization. And, in watching Mess, I felt saddened that he'd allowed himself to become saddled with the soil of this team and the current regime. And, while I don't think rehiring Neil Smith would be the answer, either, I do think this franchise needs a young, hungry GM like Smith was at one point, one who loved the organization and all that it means to the success of this league, and who cared about the fans. Sather has sunk this franchise to the lower depths of sports hell.