View Single Post
Old
02-22-2007, 10:24 PM
JWINK19
southern Devils fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
I have always been one of the larger advocates of the two referee system. If 45 refs ensured a better game, I would be supportive. However, the OT Jagr goalie interference call was the epitome of the flaw of the system. During this play, the in-zone referee, who had a perfect, unobstructed view of the play made no call. However, the trailing referee over a zone away stopped play and made the call.

In recent history, both the NFL and MLB have made great strides in using on field conferences for getting the right call. In regards to the NHL, I think the following changes should be made.

Either:

1) Only the local referee may call penalties in his offensive zone. In the neutral zone both referees may make penalty calls. This ensures a referee that is 80+ft away is never making trailing play calls. Add accountability to the local referee. Obvious exception would be major penalty assessment (similar to the current linesman input)

2) Referees may over-rule calls. The NFL has no problem in admitting mistakes and correcting a play and announcing "no penalty" on the play. I will always take a mistake stoppage of play over 2 of mis-awarded PP time. The local referee in this case saw no foul and should have the gumption to announce no penalty. The refs accountability is to the game, not to pride of his officiating partner for the evening.

Sports officiating will always be a point of contention, but the current two man system is inherently flawed in it's current iteration.

I'm a Devils fan, but I give credit where it's due. That is an outstanding post. Excellent job!

JWINK19 is offline   Reply With Quote