Old
03-24-2014, 04:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Giroux only got 3.75m/y on his bridge contract after displaying much more. Kadri, by better comparison, only got 2.90m/y.

I throw the 3.25m/y number around in pessimism, but the cautious optimist in me says he could be anywhere in the 2.50m/year to 3.10m/y range.

Anything under 3.00m/y would be solid, but I'm hoping for the 2.50m/y victory kind of contract that Holmgren likes to sneak on us from time to time.

Either way, it's going to be a 2-3 year bridge contract. There's no way either party wants to cement a deal beyond RFA. Schenn wants to get paid when he hits UFA, and Holmgren won't want to give him money and term on a deal he has yet to earn. It benefits both parties to tackle a bridge deal. After the bridge deal, if Schenn continues to progress steadily into that physical 50-60 point 2nd line center, 4.50m/y to 5.00m/y seems likely for his UFA contract in a few years time.

Basically, I doubt that we see a JVR deal.
Sub three for 2-3 years would be solid. If there wasn't such a log-jam at center, I would be all about a JVR-esque deal. But because of the uncertainty there, I think the only real way to handle Schenn is 2-3 years.