View Single Post
Old
03-25-2014, 10:27 PM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Carry over from the previous thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
From what I understand Alt didn't want to sign with them. I really don't' know why but I remember reading or hearing that things soured.
Still, they got nothing in return basically. I'm sure they could have at least got a conditional pick or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I dont get it from CAR POV

I know they wanted to trade Boucher because he lost the back-up role, but why package him with a defenseman with a future for a useless AHLer?
Yeah IDK. It's not like Boucher had a contract beyond that year either. Oh well. I'll take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Most yes. He has similar numbers to Read and Flanagan in the NCAA. Similar size player compared to those two also, well Read was bigger when signed but he was also three years older.

Numbers definitely don't tell the whole story. Like I said in my other post Flanagan was a Hobey Baker finalist and had slightly better numbers in the NCAA but he hasn't and most definitely won't amount to anything in the NHL. Take it for what it's worth.

His size is definitely an obstacle. I've never seen him so I can't say more then that. I imagine seeing him in the AHL will give us a better idea. Watching Read play in the AHL it was evident he was the best player on the ice every game and the points came too.
Goumas also played in a more competitive conference than those two guys. His numbers are similar to Spencer Abbott who signed with the Leafs a couple years ago also out of Hockey East. Abbott has produced well at the AHL level, but hasn't made an impact at the NHL level yet, which is the case for a lot of undersized guys. If they can't crack the lineup in a scoring role, they are pretty useless. It's worth a shot though. You may catch lightning in a bottle. The thing that sets Read apart from the rest is that can play a lot of different roles: PK, PP, scoring line, shutdown line, point on the PP, C, LW, RW. He does it all. Another thing is his skating. A lot of smaller guys aren't strong skaters. Read is a great skater.