View Single Post
Old
04-02-2014, 09:06 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
As far as the hit goes--it was a sandwich job. They happen. Burrows came in a bit high. It wasn't really what I'd call dirty. I doubt there is going to be a suspension. Girardi gave him a shot. Then others piled in. The anti-toughness guys want Girardi to fight Burrows.-??? Girardi's fought occasionally in the past but that's not really in his character. Want guys who will fight? get a tougher team. It's not like I'd be expecting the reverse from McD if it were Girardi that got nailed. I really wouldn't.

This 'team toughness' crap I first heard from Emile Francis in the 70's after he'd traded away Irvine, Butler and Sather to the Blues for John Davidson. That more or less meant Rod Gilbert was going to protect Jean Ratelle or Bill Fairbairn was going to protect Walt Tkaczuk every time that Schultz and Saleski and Dupont ganged up on them. It doesn't work. Wound up watching 5'8 Ed Johnstone of the 23 broken noses getting pummeled a lot because he didn't take a lot of ****. As far as fighting goes--you either got it in you or you don't. As far as this year's team it's up to the officials and the league to protect us when **** goes awry--however well they're up to that job. There is Carcillo and Dorsett. Dorsett reminds me a bit of Johnstone--just not as good of a player.