Thread: Sean Couturier
View Single Post
Old
04-02-2014, 01:57 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
I think that honestly our best option this summer is to use the Schenns + 1st to attack the defensive problem. If we don't find anything worthwhile, look to move Lecavalier instead.

Don't move Laughton if you move the Schenns because eventually the idea would be for him to eventually replace Lecavalier as our third line center (he should be our fourth starting next season). Giving Laughton some of the shutdown responsibilities that are on Couturier's shoulders now would help ease Couturier into the role of a truly two-way second line center. It would free him up for more offensive us.

I think that's the right strategy going forward for our team.
I just really have no desire for them to shop Brayden Schenn. I know a lot of people around here feel like he doesn't engage enough, but that's just not the kind of player he is. He's never going to dominate puck possession, but he does have the incredible ability to find himself in the right place at the right time. You can't dismiss that as luck. It's part of having good hockey sense and playing to your strengths. Longterm, I think he's the type of player that can thrive in the secondary scoring role behind Giroux. His physical play compliments some of the flashiness of a a Giroux led line. Even if he technically gets third line minutes behind Giroux and Couturier, he can still be really valuable to the offense. I have no problem with the Flyers running Giroux/Schenn/Couturier down the middle for the next 5-7 years.

As others have said, develop the defensemen we have and forget about chasing the big fish all the time. I really don't think any of them are that far off either. With the way clubs emphasize team defense anymore, your young defensemen aren't asked to play like world beaters on the back end. Every team in the league stresses a huge amount of back pressure which really helps the defense dictate the play. Look how many young defensemen have been able to just step in and play big roles for their teams. Brodin, Maatta, Carlson and Alzner a couple of years ago, Hamonic, Leddy, Dillon, Merrill, Gelinas, Tanev, DeKeyser, Trouba, Hamilton, Krug, Josi, etc. All guys that were able to step in and become solid NHL'ers in just their first or second year. Between Morin, Hagg, Ghost, and Alt, they have to a guy or two that can make a similar impact.