View Single Post
04-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Miller Time NYR
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Alien Valuating View Post
Yeah, I'd like to know the answer to that myself. Haggerty and JT Miller both played on the same USDP team in their draft year. Their numbers:

Haggerty - 23gp, 7-8-15, +7
Miller - 21gp, 3-12-15, +4

Obviously stats don't tell the whole story, and they especially must not in the case where one goes 15th overall and one goes undrafted.

Miller put up over a PPG in his WHC-17 and WJC-18 games, which I'm sure definitely impressed the scouts. Haggerty in those tournaments had 3 points in 6 games and 2 points in 6 games, respectively.

So even if Haggerty wasn't nearly on par with Miller, why not take a late flier on him? The Devils took a forward Blake Pietila from the same USDP program who only had 9 points in 25 games on the same team. According to an article from a Stamford newspaper the year before Haggerty was drafted, he was only an inch shorter and 5 pounds lighter back then, so it wasn't a size issue. There must have been some other concerns regarding the player, otherwise I don't see any reason he wouldn't have been taken in the late rounds at least.
Its kind of puzzling, hopefully someone can shed some light on why NOBODY took a shot on him, as for their play with the USDP by all accounts Miller was a leader on that team and made alot happen on both sides of the ice, Hags put up points but I don't remember anyone talking much about him pre-draft.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote