Thread: Alain Vigneault
View Single Post
Old
04-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR713 View Post
That's one of the biggest changes with AV over Torts... regulation of playing time. Rolling 4 lines throughout the season has kept these guys fresh for the late run. Like you said, Torts barely even recognizes that he has a 4th line and 3rd pairing. Throughout 82 games, especially with Torts style of collapsing and blocking shots defensively, he would ride the same horses to death and the team was dead come playoffs every season. Shortening the bench in the playoffs isn't always a bad idea, especially if the top 9 and top 4 haven't been worked to death in the regular season.
You also see the results of Torts riding his top lines too hard with the Canucks this season. The Sedins just got worn down and accumulated injuries and his team collapsed in the second half

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
like his style offensively.

dont like it defensively.
I like the defense sometimes and other times the forwards especially get lost, but can't argue too hard with 5th in the league in goals against per game and I don't feel like it's just Lundqvist all alone either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Definitely agree on the bolded.

Part of why I've liked AV a lot is that he took a roster with different players that play different styles, and did the best he could to mold them to play his game. Sather needs a few d-men that can handle the puck. McDonagh, Stralman, and Staal can't be the only ones that can carry a puck.
John Moore can do that but he's gotta learn some things as well...he really needs to take some lessons from McDonagh on how to protect the puck while skating it. That's one thing that I don't see many people say about McDonagh but that he's really, really good at. Watch him move the puck up the ice and he's so good at using his body to protect the puck from a guy trying to check him from behind, he doesn't allow guys to tie up his stick, and can just accelerate away from them. His hands are also really damn good and his perception of how much reach an opposing player has to try to poke check him is excellent

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote