View Single Post
Old
04-04-2014, 06:20 PM
ChesterNimitz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
The PK jock riding on HFboards is like nothing I have seen. I am on other boards and they can actually say PK has D issues. Here you just get shouted down as 1 racist or 2 not a habsfan. He won the norris because it was a short season, Karlsson was out, others didn't have the best of years either. There is no way I put PK in the same league as Chelios, Lidstrom, Bourque, MacInnis, Leetch or even Coffey. Sorry he just isn't. Maybe in 10 years from now we can look back at a really good career, but thats what norris winners look like. Randy Carlyle won it when he was 24 years old, but really would didn't go on to be as great as some of these other on that list. Hell Rob Blake had a damn fine year and barely won it once even while winning the Hart the same year.
Even Coffey? From this writer's perspective of having the privilege of watching NHL players since the early 1950's, I would place Coffey among the handful of the greatest players who have ever played this game. It's interesting to note that the strongest memory I have of Coffey was not seeing him in a game but at a practice. It was 1984 and my job required me to be in Montreal at the same time that 1984 Canada Cup was being held. It was also a job that allowed me access to most sport venues and through this access I was invited to watch Team Russia and Team Canada practice at the Old (but renovated) Montreal Forum for the upcoming hockey showdown. The Russians practiced first. Interestingly, very few Team Canada players deigned to watch. Once the Russians had finished, it was Team Canada's turn. As opposed to the Canadian players, the entire Russian team, coaches and players , stayed to watch the Canadian players practice. I was sitting maybe 4 or 5 rows behind the Russian team with some venerable sports writers. It was remarkable to see who the Russians focused on. Their eyes were glued to Coffey as he zoomed effortlessly around the ice. It was funny to watch their collective heads move in a synchronized mass as they followed Coffey skate around the ice. You could only wonder what they were thinking. I have seen most of the great defencemen of the past 60 years: Harvey, Gatsby, Baun , Stanley, Horton, Orr, Park, the Big Three, Salming, Bourque and on and on. For my money, Coffey was as good, if not better than all of them.

ChesterNimitz is offline   Reply With Quote