View Single Post
Old
02-28-2007, 12:43 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

vCash: 500
Bob Froese's goal

There was a thread over in the History of Hockey section about Bob Froese. I brought this up:

Quote:
Interesting fact about Bob Froese: He was the second goalie in the history of the NHL to be credited with a goal.

It happened when he was a member of the New York Rangers against the New York Islanders. It was basically the scored the same way Billy Smith scored his goal; delayed penalty, Isles pull their goalie, Isles shoot it all the way down and in, goalie was said to be the last player who touched the puck. They showed the replay over and over again and it was difficult to tell whether or not he touched the puck. I still maintain that he did. However, I still maintain that I did. The NHL disagreed and eventually credited the goal to someone else (I can't for the life of me remember who). I wonder if any other Ranger fans remember this.

Anyway, a few days later Ron Hextall became the first goalie to actually shoot on goal and score. If you listen to the Flyers broadcast of this (which I couldn't find on youtube unfortunately) you can hear the color commentator say "That is a legitimate one! Bob Froese scored one the other day for the New York Rangers but never touched it." I know a lot of people who were confused by that statement whenever they watched the highlight since there is really no record of Froese scoring. This explains it.

Does anybody else remember this? Anyone remember who was eventually credited with the goal? (I still say Froese touched it).

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote