View Single Post
Old
02-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 500
Marcel Hossa is one of those guys who has decent hands and can score goals when put in the right situation and surrounded by the right type of players. He's a complementary scorer. He will not create much on his own.

This is the first real stretch of Hossa's stint as a Ranger where he's had the opportunity to play on an offensive line with Jagr and Straka for the most part. He's strong on the puck and very good in the corners and he works well with other offensive players. He will not, and has not, produced offense consistently when playing with the likes of Betts, Ward, Hollweg, Orr, etc.

I think if he continues to play on an offensive line, he can be a consistent 20 goal, 50 point two-way player.

Growing up, especially in the WHL, Hossa was always a top line player who was accustomed to being in key offensive situations and playing lots of minutes. It's hard for some players to produce when they're playing on a 3rd line and only seeing 10-12 mins a game with no PP time. Take Nigel Dawes as an example. He wasn't producing offense when playing on the 3rd and 4th lines for us. I believe the first time he had the chance to play with a playmaking center like Nylander (in the game against Toronto), he scored his first NHL goal.

A lot of teams make this mistake of putting young offensive players on lower lines with little minutes and still expect them to produce. One team that has always put their players in a position to succeed is Colorado. When Drury, Hejduk and Tanguay came up, they were put on the top two lines with Sakic, Forsberg, et al. Same thing with Svatos and Wolski, and to a lesser extent Vrbata, who went on a tear when he first came up.

This is always something that I think people quite often overlook.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote