View Single Post
Old
04-11-2014, 10:30 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I think there is a lot of merit in having a KHL base for a national team. It seems to me that the biggest problems in Sochi were lack of a basic plan of attack and a unified defensive strategy. Its easier for a home-based national teams (e.g., Soviet national teams) to develop a plan, a philosophy and specific strategies that everyone can be brought in to carry out, as opposed to having a few NHL stars dropping by to play for themselves, as we seemed to see in Sochi. An example of what I am talking about is Malkin, who seemed to be playing more for Team Malkin than for Russia.

If building a national team around a few NHL stars worked, then I would favor continuing on as usual. But after 3 straight Olympic tournaments without a medal, its time to quit doing the same old thing, and to make some major changes.
Why? The problem wasn't on the players chosen, twice it was on being outcoached (2006 and 2014) and once just being outplayed (2010).

As for Malkin, it was obvious that he had the wrong linemate in Ovechkin. They just aren't the fit for each other. Malkin was doing just fine with other linemates at the 2012 Worlds. Had Bilyaletdinov shuffled lines a bit, the outcome could have been different. But we all know that changing lines or strategies during a game/tournament has never been Russia's forte.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote