View Single Post
Old
02-09-2004, 10:12 AM
KingsFan7824

vCash: 500
Well if players can be dominant at 6-3, why can't they at 6-4? What's the difference between 6-3 and 6-4?

Sundin. Yashin. Lecavalier. Primeau, while no longer a scorer, is a dominant defensive center. Handzus. Murray is only 6-3ish, so I guess he can't count. I'm sure there are more out there.

Size by itself doesn't make much difference. Speed by itself doesn't make much difference. Talent by itself doesn't make much difference. It's about maturing, learning, and being in the right place at the right time(whether that's on the right team, or in the right position on the ice in a given situation).

If Steckel or Boyle become NHL level players, only score 10 goals a year, but play great defense, that's ok. Every team needs players like that. Every team needs big players, and small players. Every team needs offensive, and defensive players. You need a mix.

Does every 1st round pick need to be a top scorer? Would you take the best defensive forward in the league in the 1st round? Late in the 1st round?

I'm not saying either player will be a great defensive player. I'm not even saying that either Steckel or Boyle will ever play in an NHL game. But the draft is a guessing game. You take a guy, and you see what happens. Datsyuk was a late round pick. That means every team, including the Wings, passed on him at least once because they thought someone else was better at the time.

Would some teams from the 2000 draft wish they had picked Frolov before the Kings did? From what we've seen so far, yes. Not every team, but a good number before #20 probably wish they had.

The Kings didn't pick them because of their size. They picked them because they were there. That's how the draft works. Maybe the Kings said they picked them for their size, I don't know. But every team says that. "Oh, we couldn't believe (player X) was there for us at #46(or 57, or 103, or 245). We were just thrilled. He's big, he's young, he's got tremendous talent. We feel very fortunate." That's what every team says. But every team, outside of the first couple picks in any draft, just end up taking whoever is left, wait to see how they develop, and then go from there.