View Single Post
Old
04-18-2014, 07:54 PM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
From the other thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
I'm talking about the way he plays. Have you ever seen him control the pace of play (with the puck) like Timonen or Streit? Have you ever seen him walk the blue line to find a shooting lane? Offensively his most effective play has always (with the Flyers anyway) been to skate like the wind to the red line and dump the puck in. Like I said, he can shoot the puck when he gets a nice feed and he's shown some ability to jump up in the offensive zone and get involved. But he's never shown any creativity offensively. He's never shown the ability to really generate any offense on his own.

And just to be clear. I'm a Coburn fan. He should have gotten the Ashbee this year. But he is what he is and always has been, at least with the Flyers.
I don't think anyone is arguing he is an offensive defenseman. Just that when he was drafted as an 18 year old teams saw a 6'5 defenseman that could skate. Their was a perception that he had offensive upside. And for a few years, he showed he did have some skills. Not elite offensive tools but maybe enough to classify him as a two-way guy and not just a stay-at-home guy.