View Single Post
04-18-2014, 08:55 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
I'm talking about the way he plays. Have you ever seen him control the pace of play (with the puck) like Timonen or Streit? Have you ever seen him walk the blue line to find a shooting lane? Offensively his most effective play has always (with the Flyers anyway) been to skate like the wind to the red line and dump the puck in. Like I said, he can shoot the puck when he gets a nice feed and he's shown some ability to jump up in the offensive zone and get involved. But he's never shown any creativity offensively. He's never shown the ability to really generate any offense on his own.

And just to be clear. I'm a Coburn fan. He should have gotten the Ashbee this year. But he is what he is and always has been, at least with the Flyers.
I'm not saying he was offensively talented as those guys but there used to be more to his game than just being a stay at home guy, the numbers don't lie. You don't put up nearly 40 points in your first NHL season as a 22 year old by being a slouch offensively.

For whatever reason he regressed offensively since his first full year here but I remember people being very excited about his two-way potential after that year.