Thread: Great Britain: British players abroad
View Single Post
04-23-2014, 03:37 PM
3 Minute Minor
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by blair3 View Post
I think that looking at the Josh Cook and Adam Jones situations at the World Championships (strange IIHF rules that I don't agree with) but without having played two successive years in the UK after the age of 12, which mean't that both these players could play for GB, I think we have lost the likes of Brendan Perlini and the Whistle brothers to have a chance of playing for Britain. However, I think Brett Perlini and Scott Conway could still be possible selections (although I regret that we probably won't see them on many others represent my National team).
The wording on the rule is still not clear to me lol

It seems like the player has to play 2 years prior to age 12 in the country IF it's the players secondary citizenship. For a player like Brendan Perlini, he was born in England therefore it could be his primary citizenship and Canada would be his 2nd nationality and he'd need 2 years in Canada before he could play for Canada (he did & is playing in an IIHF event for Canada atm)

Similar with Conway. He's Canadian/GB nationality, born in GB, never played in Canada though. He spent all his time in NA in USA (Michigan, Indianapolis, Texas, next year Pennsylvania) so I doubt he'd be eligible for Canada...

I'm not sure of Josh Cooks actual place of birth. EP says Canada but that's not always 100% accurate as player info is usually lifted from team websites and team websites often list hometown rather than birthplace.

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote